25 August 2009

Sending Yourself Subliminal Messages

How often during the day do you log on to your computer, and check your e-mail, school accounts, facebook, twitter, etc, not to mention every other website imaginable that uses accounts/usernames and passwords? My guess is fairly often, possibly "too many times to keep track of" even. What I'd like to address today is what kind of subliminal message your passwords are sending you.


According to Dictionary.com:

sub⋅lim⋅i⋅nal

[suhb-lim-uh-nl] Show IPA
–adjective Psychology.
existing or operating below the threshold of consciousness; being or employing stimuli insufficiently intense to produce a discrete sensation but often being or designed to be intense enough to influence the mental processes or the behavior of the individual: a subliminal stimulus; subliminal advertising.

That's right, your passwords. What I'm talking about are the various amounts of secret passwords that we type in and repeat in our mind and keep stored in our memory every time we log in to an account. Now, random passwords like "gF88cuq1" may not have much of an impact on our over-all mental health, but with how often we are typing in these passwords and going over them in our mind, think of how beneficial passwords like "BeYourself", "StayPositive", or "ILoveLife!!" could be. Today's happiness challenge involves changing all your account passwords to positive and upbeat phrases, things that you want to remind yourself daily, like how cute your butt is or how much you love your mother. I suggest making the passwords stronger by adding numbers and capitalization such as: "Il00kGR3AT!" or "sm1l3". I have to say I would much rather be repeating "Stay Motivated" over and over in my head during the day when I am logging in than "pudding 4" or "status92". The best thing is that once these new passwords are put into place and stored in your memory, you don't have to actually do anything differently than what you are doing now - but you are still reaping from the long-term benefits! There is definitely something to be said about keeping a positive attitude!
Bonus points for not using the same password for everything!

2 hand prints:

Heidi Rose said...

Kudos to me!! My newest email account has a cute little password which more often than not, cheers me up, if only slightly and only for a few seconds!

Your words are not lost on me though- I am super guilty of using one password for (almost) everything. I will be going around and changing this!

-Heidi

Heidi Rose said...

My gmail password is now more complex and smile-provoking.